How to install an Inspection cover
Extensive specifications documents and built-in installation instructions are available for each cover as PDF files on our website, but MMP aims to go one step further with this step-by-step visualisation on how to install a cover.
These are the main questions you should ask yourself when purchasing an MPP cover. (If in doubt, contact your MPP dealer, who will give you expert advice to help you make the right choice)
- Do the circumstances require the inspection cover to be screwed tight or not?
- Which size/dimensions do I need?
- Which height do I need?
- What resistance is required?
Remove the cardboard corners and check for any damage. Place the closed cover in the manhole in the correct position. Apply the concrete filling to the edges of the frame evenly but generously. Make certain that there are no air pockets in the concrete, as these may adversely affect the density of the cover or bend under a load.
Take into account the final finish layer. Use the level to take the cover to the right height.
Give the concrete plenty of time to harden (at least 48 hours) and open the cover when the concrete is 90% hard. Remove any concrete or other residue on the frame or recessed cover.
To fill the cover, apply the concrete evenly and place the reinforcement mesh in the right position: make sure it does not touch the bottom or sides. Again take into account the thickness of the finish layer.
Lay the pavers, tiles or other finish and fill the joints.
- Always place the cover horizontally.
- Protect the floor surface around the manhole during installation.
- Prevent accidents by not leaving the manhole or shaft access open unattended during the installation work. Make sure that the area is inaccessible to children.
- Covers with two lifting points must be lifted by two persons. Covers with four lifting points must be lifted with four persons. Never under any circumstances lift a cover manually with ropes, as this will result in serious back and neck injuries.
- In addition to the above instructions, observe the safety instructions and conditions of the relevant country.